Take a glimpse into how the magic of color-change is created. View firsthand how Del Sol's Spectrachrome® engineers and chemists combine sunshine and color to create color-changing magic inside Del Sol's very own Spectrachrome® technology that makes all its products change colors for everyone under the sun!
VIDEO: Who we are
The Del Sol Color Change Lab
Color Change Field Tests
Our rigorous, ongoing testing in both computer models and real-life samples is world-renowned, ensuring best quality and optimal performance. For Del Sol, the 'best quality' means bold color that lasts for years - even through washing, and 'optimal performance' means quick, vivid color-color change. The difference is dramatic and eye-opening every time you step into sunlight. Of course, not everyone can compound colors with two different photochromic dynamics to get multiple color variations. It's a Del Sol secret and trademark that undergoes reliability testing, light-fastness testing, color migratory testing, and impact testing. Each product receives its own battery of testing ranging from 90 days for some and up to 5 years for others. We take special care and pride in every color we make, ensuring that smiles abound for everyone under the sun!
"The Del Sol Color-Change Laboratory"
No matter how many times we see our products change color in the sun, we're still fascinated with the magic of color change. There's nothing like it on earth. At first glance, the colors are invisible and lifeless. So, you may ask - "is the magic really there, or isn't it?" Only the sun will tell. Our color-changing magic truly defies all description, so you've got to see it firsthand to fully enjoy it. One thing's for sure though, once you discover the sunshine magic, you won't be able to give it up.
Panning for Sunlight Crystals
Our magical ingredients are rare and precious and only come out to play in sunlight. We follow Four Main Steps to color-change invention:
- First of all, our Spectrachrome® crystals are harvested from the sunniest, most colorful places on the planet and engineered in our Del Sol Think Tanks.
- Next, we perform multiple variations with these harvested crystals.
- Then, we select and refine the brightest and best variations from the bunch.
- Finally, we take the precious few selected and inject, mold and infuse them into our products.
It's a continuous process. We repeat the steps over and over, making sure each color pops with vibrant, rainbow color. We are the explorers and dreamers of all things colorful and fun in the sun!
Inventing the Future of Color Change
Imagine yourself exploring and testing the next best color under the sun in Del Sol's quirky, magical laboratories - maybe combining marmalade and raspberry to get Marmalerry Sunshine Ripple. Anything's possible at Del Sol Color-Change Laboratories. Lately, searching for the perfect molecular shift at the subatomic level has never been more exciting, experimenting with new colors and materials that whiz through the air and fizz all the colors of the rainbow in our ultra-sonic mixers and sun-melt indexers. Steam and explosions burst into color-blazing flames from our specialized Versatonic 3,000 and Spectrachrome® homogenizers. It's always a fun, creative ride as we invent and create the most vibrant colors under the sun.
Did You Know?
Worth More Than Gold
Our Spectrachrome® materials, at their core, when reduced to their raw crystalline forms, are worth more than gold!
|Pure Platinum||Pure Gold (Spot)||Pure Silver||Spectrachrome® Dye|
Sunny Facts about Color-Change Science
- Each Spectrachrome® molecule is designed to shift into a different range of visible spectrum when activated by UV light, hence the rainbow of colors.
- Annually, we conduct over 500 different tests for thread and yarn development, amounting to over five tons of brilliant color-change products for customers all over the world, which is enough fun-in-the-sun to fill seven railroad cars.
- We print two million shirts every year, using 2,213 gallons of our proprietary Spectrachrome® ink.
- 3 lbs. of 23 different raw materials are required to produce a single gram of Spectrachrome® dye.
- Every Spectrachrome® dye undergoes more than 7,800 different compatibility tests.
Del Sol Headquarters
280 W 10200 S
Sandy, UT 84070
Contact Us >